Rice cakes. They're the new black. At least in the world of nutrition conscious athletes they are. And while our cookbook The FEED Zone has recipes for a variety of delicious rice cakes to suit every pallete, Skratch Labs founder Allen Lim is always looking for the next thing. Because just because you find a better way, doesn't meant there isn't something even better than that. Enter Apple/Cinammon Rice Cakes.
Allen whipped up a batch of these at the shop a few weeks ago and they disappeared in a hurry. They're great for vegetarians or anyone who just wants a little variety in their rice cake arsenal. The flavor is somewhere between apple pie and apple-cinammon oatmeal and we're pretty sure this new super-secret rice cake recipe isn't going to be a secret much longer. And we're just fine with that. Let us know what you think after you've tried them.
Super Secret Apple/Cinnamon Rice Cakes
Time ~30 minutes
2 cups uncooked Calrose or other medium-grain “sticky” rice
3-3.5 cups water
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Combine rice and water in a rice cooker.
2. While rice is cooking, peel, core, and dice the apples.
3. Toss them in a bowl with the cinnamon. Add brown sugar. Add salt to taste.
4. Combine the apple mixture with the rice.
5. Press mixture into an 8 or 9 inch square pan to about 1 1/2 inch thickness.
Cut and wrap the individual cakes. Makes about 10 rice cakes. Enjoy!