Lentine Alexis x Skratch Labs: Peach Buckle Cake
Join us Tuesday August 18th @ 5:30PM MST on Instagram with Lentine to bake this up and have her and Allen regale us with Skratch stories from the OG days.
Peach Buckle Cake
Makes 1 - 9” cake
This buckle cake is a swiss army knife of treats! It will change its shape, identity, and even composition for you - like magic! Peaches hide perfectly within the tender crumb (literally, the cake "buckles" around them!) but you could also use plums, cherries, berries...whatever is in season where you live. The cake can also flex to your dietary needs. Gluten-free, vegan or dairy-free? No problem! Sub in a gluten-free flour for the all-purpose, put your vegan butter to work and add 1 tsp of psyllium husk in lieu of the egg. It will still bake up like a dream! And lastly, don't keep this baby of a cake in the dessert corner; wrap it up in a bit of foil and jam it in your backpack, frame pack or jersey pocket for a decadent adventure snack, or smother it in yogurt for breakfast (which is my favorite way to enjoy it!)
- 9” round cake pan
- Parchment paper
- Stand mixer, or a mixing bowl with an electric mixer OR wooden spoon and very strong
arm as well as a healthy dose of patience.
Vegans: substitute vegan butter for the dairy butter and 1 tsp psyllium husk for each egg
Gluten free: use gluten free flour in lieu of all purpose!
* 1/2 cup almond flour(about 2 1/2 ounces)
* 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour OR gluten-free flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1 cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar
* 2 large eggs OR 2 tsp psyllium husk powder
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
* 1 1/4 pounds peaches (about 4-5 medium), halved, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices or stone fruit of choice (peaches, nectarines, cherries, etc)
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Spray 9-inch-diameter cake pan
with 2-inch-high sides with nonstick spray or grease lightly with butter or vegan butter.
Line bottom of pan with parchment paper round.
2. Combine the almond flour, all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. If using psyllium
husk, whisk this in here. Set aside.
3. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add 1 cup sugar; beat until light
in color and very fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
vanilla and almond extract, then add the flour mixture in stages until just until
4. Use a rubber spatula or spoon to transfer batter to prepared pan; spread evenly and
smooth top with spatula. Gently press peach or fruit slices, flesh side down, into batter in spoke
pattern around outer rim and center of cake, placing close together. Mix cinnamon and 4
teaspoons sugar in small bowl. Sprinkle over peaches.
5. Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes. Cool
cake in pan on rack 20 minutes. Run small knife between cake and pan sides to loosen.
Invert cake onto platter; remove parchment paper. Place another platter atop cake.
Using both hands, hold both platters firmly together and invert cake, peach side up. Cool
cake completely. Cut into wedges.
Lentine Alexis is a curious, classically trained chef and former pro athlete. I use my bicycle, raw life and travel experiences and organic ingredients to inspire athletes and everyone to explore, connect and expand their human experiences through food. Follow her on Instagram @lentinealexis.